Fran LaMattina, consultive coach, Master Certified Coach and owner of Strategies for Greatness, joins us for a fast-paced interview about Emotional Intelligence (EQ) and the difference it can make in your leadership. She provides us with an understanding of what EQ is and how it adds to our ability to make a difference in our work and personal life.
Highlights from the interview:
- EQ provides a 35% plus or minus factor in effectiveness. If we’re more emotionally intelligent, we can be 35% MORE effective; if we’re less emotionally intelligent, we could be 35% LESS effective. ~ Daniel Goleman
- EQ is comprised of 5 areas. The first three are about self, the last two are about interaction with others.
- Social Skills
- EQ causes you to catch yourself in areas of danger. Feedback helps you know when you are in a dangerous place.
“The faster we go, the less margin we have for openness.”
Resources Fran mentioned in her interview:
- Primal Leadership, Unleashing the Power of Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman
- Emotional Intelligence, Daniel Goleman
- Good to Great, Jim Collins
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Steven Covey
- What Makes a Leader, Daniel Goleman, from Harvard Business Review
- 5 Behaviors of a Cohesive Team, Patrick Lencioni - fivebehaviors.com
- Right Path Assessment rightpath.com